Monday, October 17, 2011

Sekder Ka Tan Dayew Mi

INTRODUCTION

Pangasinan is this place in Northern Luzon between the Ilocandia and Pampanga. Of course, you have heard of it, because it's the place you pass by on the way to Baguio, the place where Manaoag of the Virgin Mary is, and where bangus is sold very cheaply, Dagupan being the Bangus Capital of the World.

But Pangasinan's dayew (glory) is that its people are the closest relatives of the Cordilleran tribes that have achieved economic and cultural success in the modern age. Ilocanos, while also Cordilleran in origin, are a league apart from the others. Pangasinan are much closer to the highlander Cordilleran tribes, and in fact very close to the Ibaloi of Benguet.

I took a trip to Pangasinan, targeting especially the oldest towns, those on the coast. I planned originally to start in Paniqui, Tarlac, one of the southernmost towns of old Pangasinan. But Dagupan was too easy to go to, and too tempting to start from. So I decided to get to Dagupan first, then use it as a base for my travels inside Pangasinan.

From the pictures I got on the Web, I figured that Dagupan looked somewhat like Naga City, built-up, busy, and yet still very much immersed in Pangasinan culture.

I have got to go. But of course I will continue my story about Pangasinan.

PS. The title is the first line of the Pangasinan provincial hymn, Luyag ko tan yaman (My land and my wealth). Lyrics are reproduced here.


Sekder ka dan dayew mi
Pangasinan ya pinabli
Deen mo tan iyaliguwas
Piugagep ko lawas

Diad pusok Pangasinan
Agka nalingwanan
Luyag ko ya niyanakan
Peteg takan yaman

Matuwan aliguas mo natay anengneng la
Pasimbaloy ginmapo la
Say pankakasakey natay nalilikna
Lapud panamablid sika

Say dayat mo napnoy dakep tan say yaman
Sekder na kapalandeyan
Kareenan tan santing mo Pangasinan
Pablien tan lawas bantayan

Lawas takan intanduro Pangasinan
Aroen ka tan bayuboan
Panangampupom ya walan abangonan
Ikikinon kod siopa man
Pangasinan luyag mi tan yaman


  

1 comment: