Monday, October 17, 2011

Sekder Ka Tan Dayew Mi, 2

DAGUPAN CITY, PART I

I arrived in Dagupan City by 5:45 am, and wandered into the downtown by walking.
Dagupan by early morning. 
I wanted eat local food, and abstain from Jollibees and other fast-food chains during the period, so I set to find out what pigar-pigar was. I did my research before getting there, but I forgot what exactly it was. So I asked a seller at one merchandise store along Galvan. 

"It's beef; they sauté it with onions and sometimes with cabbage," came the reply.

Having a bad experience eating animal brains in Pagudpud town in Ilocos Norte (in a previous Ilocandia trip), I asked: "It's meat, right?" Implied in the question was another question: "No innards?" I think the seller got the implied question when she replied that yes, it was meat.

I then found a nearby pigar-pigar stall and sat down. The seller had informed me that these stands were a night event, so I wondered if they were still open. They were, and I found myself ordering (in a somewhat confused manner) 1/4 kilo of beef with cabbage and onions mixed. 

Pigar-pigar. It looks good and tastes even better. 
Because I probably didn't sound from around here, the server took the liberty of serving me another Pangasinan dish: kaleskes.

Kaleskes, a soup. 
I ordered two cups of rice, and I couldn't finish the pigar-pigar even with that amount of rice! I suspected that kaleskes was made of innards, so I just drank it bottoms-up and did not linger with the taste.

All the fat I had just ingested was getting to me, as well as the lack of real sleep inside the bus. So I did not feel like exploring Dagupan at that time. Probably it would be better if I returned around 10 am or later, I thought. I decided to hit the Lingayen beach. That, of course, is in the next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment